Any agency owner or manager will find managing a large team to be a daunting task. There are many challenges that come with managing a large group of people, from ensuring that everyone is working towards the same goals to keeping communication channels open. However, with the right strategies and mindset, it is possible to effectively manage a large team and ensure that everyone is working towards a common goal.
Here are some key takeaways from his experience that can help any agency owner or manager manage their own large team:
- Define and communicate company values: Setting clear company values and communicating them to your team is one of the most important things you can do as an agency owner or manager. This ensures that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same objectives. Ensure that these values pervade all aspects of your agency's operations, from hiring and onboarding to day-to-day operations.
- Hire the right people: When managing a large team, it's critical to hire people who share your values and are a good fit for the culture of your company. This can help ensure that everyone is on the same page and that communication channels are open. Take the time to find the right people for your team and make sure they understand the values and goals of your agency.
- Establish effective feedback and onboarding processes: Feedback is critical for ensuring that everyone is striving for success and that any problems are addressed as soon as possible. Set up an open, honest, and constructive feedback process. Onboarding is also critical for establishing new team members' success. Be sure that new hires are properly trained and understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Trust your team members: It can be tempting when managing a large team to micromanage or try to control every aspect of your agency's operations. However, this can lead to team member burnout and a lack of trust. Instead, concentrate on hiring the right people and giving them the authority to make decisions and take responsibility for their work. This can help to build trust and collaboration among your team members.
- Embrace remote work: The rise of remote work has made managing a large team even more difficult. However, remote work can offer increased flexibility and productivity. Set up clear communication channels and make sure everyone has the tools they need to work effectively from anywhere.
Managing a large team can be difficult, but success is possible with the right mindset and strategies. You can build a strong and successful team by defining and communicating company values, hiring the right people, establishing effective feedback and onboarding processes, trusting your team members, and embracing remote work.
Topics Covered on The Agency Hour Podcast
- Being tricked into moving to Thailand
- The Problem with growing too fast
- Letting go of control
- The vacation test
- How to onboard new team members
- Finding new team members
- Pairing feedback with company values
- The overwhelming fear of hiring
Want to know more about Mavericks Club?